To forgive is divine...
"To err is human and to forgive is divine..."
This is a quote that I have never been able to believe in. Honestly, as much as I try forgiveness is still a virtue that is so totally alien to me. Forgive and forget I've been told numerous times. That to forgive is an act that relieves you of a huge burden rather than the other person. But I've failed shamelessly in doing so.
Once I feel let down, which in my defense doesn't happen too often, I can never let go of that painful nagging feeling in my gut somewhere. I am short tempered, yes, but it takes 2-3 really nasty situations to cross me. And once am crossed and upset and angry and betrayed and sorry then there is no looking back.
Two of my friends let me down when we were in college. Its been over 7-8 years since that happened and I think I still haven't totally gotten over it. Yes, so after 7 years if i meet them I can talk to them and be nice and polite. But, I know that deep down I still carry a grudge. But at least the seven years between the incident and now has helped me forget the incident (well most of the time!).
There are a couple of other recent events that I need to overlook and move on. I need to realise that people will not always be nice to you. The folks I am talking about just simply hate me, for no rhyme or reason, they just do. And its fine most of the time. Its when I have to meet them and greet them that I can't get myself to overlook their mistakes and blunders and start afresh with a clean slate. I just can't do it. I've also realised that more than anyone else it hurts me. I am the one who keeps living those bad memories in my mind and carry a huge baggage of negativity. I need to let go. I need to understand that -People who mind don't matter and people who matter don't mind.
I hope that in a few years I will also be able to get rid of these negative feelings. I so hope! I hope I can forget if not forgive.
This is a quote that I have never been able to believe in. Honestly, as much as I try forgiveness is still a virtue that is so totally alien to me. Forgive and forget I've been told numerous times. That to forgive is an act that relieves you of a huge burden rather than the other person. But I've failed shamelessly in doing so.
Once I feel let down, which in my defense doesn't happen too often, I can never let go of that painful nagging feeling in my gut somewhere. I am short tempered, yes, but it takes 2-3 really nasty situations to cross me. And once am crossed and upset and angry and betrayed and sorry then there is no looking back.
Two of my friends let me down when we were in college. Its been over 7-8 years since that happened and I think I still haven't totally gotten over it. Yes, so after 7 years if i meet them I can talk to them and be nice and polite. But, I know that deep down I still carry a grudge. But at least the seven years between the incident and now has helped me forget the incident (well most of the time!).
There are a couple of other recent events that I need to overlook and move on. I need to realise that people will not always be nice to you. The folks I am talking about just simply hate me, for no rhyme or reason, they just do. And its fine most of the time. Its when I have to meet them and greet them that I can't get myself to overlook their mistakes and blunders and start afresh with a clean slate. I just can't do it. I've also realised that more than anyone else it hurts me. I am the one who keeps living those bad memories in my mind and carry a huge baggage of negativity. I need to let go. I need to understand that -People who mind don't matter and people who matter don't mind.
I hope that in a few years I will also be able to get rid of these negative feelings. I so hope! I hope I can forget if not forgive.
Comments
The idea of forgiving someone comes when we have already been a victim. But if we refuse to be at the receiving end and just laugh out such moments as unimportant issues, then there won't be a need for us to try to be idealistic in this non ideal world!