Kinky boots - Chicago Broadway theatre

So I watched my second broadway theatre and I loved it. It was something I had been trying to go for for a while and couldn't find company the days I was free. I think am too chicken to go for a play or a movie alone. Maybe someday I'd be confident enough. And I digress again!

Kinky boots is musical about a young man, Charlie Price (played by Stark Sands), who inherits his father's shoe making business and is forced to either sell the business and end the livelihood for a bunch of people he has known all his life or to leave his job in the big city of London and move to the small town where his parents live.
He takes the bold move and decides to try and save the business. When he looks at the accounting books of the business he realises that they had been making loses for a long time and he now again has a decision to make - to sell the business and marry his city-loving girlfriend or to find another way of making things work. And here enters Lola ( Billy Porter). Lola is a transvestite who helps him design boots for drag queens, transvestites and cross-dressers. Charlie and Lola become good friends and discover they have a lot in common. Kinky boots teaches to accept people for who they are. The best way to fit in is to stand out!

All the actors/characters were great but Lola is the heart and soul of the play.without her the play wouldn't be the same at all. If there was someone who could steal the limelight from the others on the stage by just being on it with them- it is Lola or Billy Porter. The music is nice and the singing amazing.

Maybe, it was one of the few musicals that I have seen, so excuse my ignorance. It took me a long while to realize and accept that the audio wasn't a recording. They were actually singing - loud, clear and beautifully!!!!

An evening well spent!




Comments