Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast
Happy 2011!!
Let me begin this new year on a gracious note. Today, I will share some of my genius with you all. I'll share one of my many theories (those who have to jhelo some of them daily- I can see you go- not again!).
So, here goes...
I believe that there is such a thing as mental age. That just as we all have a physical age. We also have an age we are stuck at mentally. That we see life and experience things and behave based on how old we feel ourselves to be. Our desires, wants, aspirations are all a result of that mental age.
Like yours truly is stuck at the mental age of 23. I feel like I've just begun. That it was only yesterday that I graduated from school and college. Or at times when am dreaming about Edward Cullen, I feel like I am still in college (or maybe that's just a wish ;-)). When I think of my future, where I see myself 10 years from now, its always in context of the age of 23.
Let me also use this space to introduce you to my mother. Meet Mrs S Chaubey. She, I believe, is at the mental age of a teenager or a 21 year old girl. And thats the best thing about her. She has the gravity, maturity, experience and magnanimity of a middle aged woman and yet her innocence is of a young girl. There have been times when I've marveled at how little it takes to keep her happy, how little she demands of life, how little she expects of me, how giving she is willing to be. All those are qualities certainly not of a teenager girl. Those are traits of her own physical age (or maybe not -cause I also know people who don't have the same maturity at her age). Then again she gets super excited like a 5 year old on seeing the Diwali lightings in the city (something that fails to amuse me as much as it amuses her). How excited she gets when she gets a new salwar suit stitched (something we buy and shop for all the time - so much that it doesn't amuse us anymore).
So, back to mental age. I think its lovely to be young at heart and in your mind. It keeps you positive and optimistic. It keeps you happy cause you are where you want to be. So, for those of you who don't agree with my story, assume a mental age and act like it. You are bound to see the difference.
"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Have a great year ahead! Happy Dreaming!
Let me begin this new year on a gracious note. Today, I will share some of my genius with you all. I'll share one of my many theories (those who have to jhelo some of them daily- I can see you go- not again!).
So, here goes...
I believe that there is such a thing as mental age. That just as we all have a physical age. We also have an age we are stuck at mentally. That we see life and experience things and behave based on how old we feel ourselves to be. Our desires, wants, aspirations are all a result of that mental age.
Like yours truly is stuck at the mental age of 23. I feel like I've just begun. That it was only yesterday that I graduated from school and college. Or at times when am dreaming about Edward Cullen, I feel like I am still in college (or maybe that's just a wish ;-)). When I think of my future, where I see myself 10 years from now, its always in context of the age of 23.
Let me also use this space to introduce you to my mother. Meet Mrs S Chaubey. She, I believe, is at the mental age of a teenager or a 21 year old girl. And thats the best thing about her. She has the gravity, maturity, experience and magnanimity of a middle aged woman and yet her innocence is of a young girl. There have been times when I've marveled at how little it takes to keep her happy, how little she demands of life, how little she expects of me, how giving she is willing to be. All those are qualities certainly not of a teenager girl. Those are traits of her own physical age (or maybe not -cause I also know people who don't have the same maturity at her age). Then again she gets super excited like a 5 year old on seeing the Diwali lightings in the city (something that fails to amuse me as much as it amuses her). How excited she gets when she gets a new salwar suit stitched (something we buy and shop for all the time - so much that it doesn't amuse us anymore).
So, back to mental age. I think its lovely to be young at heart and in your mind. It keeps you positive and optimistic. It keeps you happy cause you are where you want to be. So, for those of you who don't agree with my story, assume a mental age and act like it. You are bound to see the difference.
"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Have a great year ahead! Happy Dreaming!
Comments
As for 'innocence'... I and my dear husband had this discussion 1-2 days back... that 'innocence' is a state of character... and it is quickly becoming a rare to find quality!!
I so agree with you on the mental age thing. It's the child in us and not the adult that keeps us going. :)