I am an Indian!
The 26th of January, 2010 marks the 61st Republic Day of India. It is on this day that the Constitution of India was adopted. In these 60-odd years we've come a long way as an independent nation. There is a lot that has happened that makes us really proud as an Indian. There is a lot that I would still like to be done. There is still a long long way to go before we can truly call ourselves an independent nation.
We all claim that the beauty and charm of India lies in its diversity. And to a great extent I agree. I also think that there is beauty in the co-existence of this diversity.
The last year saw a lot of communal fights - atrocities against Biharis in Maharashtra, against and for gujjar rights, sardars and punjabis fighting for amritsar riots and many more punjab related issues. There were a lot of clashes between different sections and castes and religions of the society. We had politicians chiding Sachin Tendulkar for calling himself an Indian rather than a Maharastran. Really, there are times when this diversity doesn't look so beautiful.
We constantly brand ourselves and the people around us as Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Biharis, Punjabis etc. We have a major economical divide. We differentiate between men and women.
But, its on special national days like the Republic day, or the Independence day for that matter, that one can feel a sense of national unity around. That one day (or two days) that we are not Hindus, Muslims and Christians. That one day we are all Indians.
As one stands watching the Republic day parade, one can feel the unity in our diversity. And that makes me really proud.
I am an Indian!
I am proud to be an Indian!
We all claim that the beauty and charm of India lies in its diversity. And to a great extent I agree. I also think that there is beauty in the co-existence of this diversity.
The last year saw a lot of communal fights - atrocities against Biharis in Maharashtra, against and for gujjar rights, sardars and punjabis fighting for amritsar riots and many more punjab related issues. There were a lot of clashes between different sections and castes and religions of the society. We had politicians chiding Sachin Tendulkar for calling himself an Indian rather than a Maharastran. Really, there are times when this diversity doesn't look so beautiful.
We constantly brand ourselves and the people around us as Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Biharis, Punjabis etc. We have a major economical divide. We differentiate between men and women.
But, its on special national days like the Republic day, or the Independence day for that matter, that one can feel a sense of national unity around. That one day (or two days) that we are not Hindus, Muslims and Christians. That one day we are all Indians.
As one stands watching the Republic day parade, one can feel the unity in our diversity. And that makes me really proud.
I am an Indian!
I am proud to be an Indian!
Comments
I love my country with all its issues/problems..!! And I genuinely feel... issues would definitely be there...in a nation of such diversity and population!!